The running man...

31 days ago I went for a run, a run around Glasgow city centre. It was all good fun.

It was my first 10k run of three I was taking part in for SAMH through September. I decided I needed to sign up to a few runs and thought the best thing to help motivate me would be to raise some money for charity (also meaning I couldn't back out). Training went reasonably well, in so much as on the day I actually felt I could do it... 1 hour 1 minute & 9 seconds later I had actually finished a 10k run, and without stopping too!

On 14th September I donned the gear again, this time in Kilmacolm... Two weeks extra training under my belt & a bit of determination to do better than the last time. Little did I know the wind, rain and hills of the Scottish countryside were conspiring to make it difficult for me to do that. 59 mins & 30 seconds later I rounded the straight... There it was, the finish line... For the first time in years I sprinted! After a nervous couple of hours I get the email I wanted. Official time, 59:53. Not only faster but under an hour.I have to say I was absolutely delighted with the run. It was much harder than Glasgow, so getting below the hour mark was a massive buzz!

In the days after Kilmacolm I noticed a few aches and pains... Maybe to be expected going from a couch potato to a (casual) 10k runner in three months can't be without effect. Anyway, onward & upward.

On Sunday 30th September I arrived in Inverness with my good mate Kevin to taker part in the river Ness 10k. I had a couple of goals, one was to better my time & the other was to try to keep up with Kev.... the second goal disappeared into the distance with Kevin after about 5km...leaving me alone with me thoughts and trying to better my Kilmacolm time.

I finished the run and looked at my time, 64 mins... not good at all. I was gutted, totally. I don't know how to explain it but I am hooked on this running lark and I want to keep getting better.

Then, on the bus back to the the start line I got a text message from the event organiser. 64 minutes was my starter gun time... my actual chip time was 59:53!!!! Amazing.

Despite being utterly exhausted I had improved again... so on to the next one eh? Well, maybe... I think my body has been telling me I need a few days of recuperation since prior to the Kilmacolm run & when I woke up yesterday morning I had to actually listen. For two days I have been rough as... with the cold, aches and pains all over. So much so its actually taken me about two hours just to write this.

I signed up for the 'winter warmer' on 14 October. A 10k run in Pollock park in Glasgow. Older and wiser eh? Not likely.

Bring it on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Believe Myself. Yet

Wait... Let Me Explain

The Trouble With Me